Mor kali is an easy and quick – to – do recipe that is a general favorite in most households in Tamil Nadu. Ingredients are easy to find and it can be prepared within short notice.
• Rice Flour – 1 cup
• Buttermilk – 3 cups.
• Oil – 3 to 4 tlbsp
• Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
• Curd Chillies [Mor Molagas] – 2 to 3
• Urad Dal – ½ tsp
• Channa Dal – ½ tsp
• Salt – to taste
• Curry Leaves
• Add rice flour to the buttermilk and mix well to form a smooth batter without lumps. Add salt to taste.
• In a heavy bottomed Kadai or non stick pan add I tlbsp of oil and put in the mustard. When it splutters add urad dal, channa dal, curry leaves & the chilies [ split into two] and fry till the dal is golden brown.
• Pour in the rice + buttermilk batter and mix well.
• Add rest of the oil and stir well in low flame so that the batter does not stick to the sides of the pan. Cook till done [the batter takes on a translucent look when done]
• Serve Hot.
Red Chilies can replace Curd Chilies. [Curd Chilies or Mor Molagas are essentially green chilies soaked in sour curds and then dried in the sun completely. These dried chilies are then fried in oil till black in color
Care must be taken while stirring the batter in low flame. That is why a lot of oil is used to ensure that the batter does not burn
If you want to avoid using excess oil you can make the same in microwave too. Prepare the seasoning on stove and pour this over the batter. Mix well and place it in the microwave at medium temperature and stir every few minutes till done. It could take approximately 10 to 12 mins
By Mrs. Mira Balachandran; firstname.lastname@example.org